About Quickbooks Online
Our Quickbooks Online (QBO) integration makes it possible to generate QuickBooks invoices from your LeafLink orders. While we have plenty of written information about the integration below, we've also put together a video demonstrating how LeafLink and QBO work together —
For more information, read on!
To use the QuickBooks Online (QBO) integration, first ensure that your QuickBooks account is set up to work with our integration.
Your QuickBooks account needs the following:
- At least one Income account
- At least one Cost of Goods sold account
- At least one Expense account
- One item created to represent LeafLink order credits
To double-check this information in QuickBooks, click the gear icon near the top-right corner of the screen and select Chart of Accounts under Settings.
Some of your QuickBooks settings will need to be edited in order to allow LeafLink's integration to push shipping and discount values to your invoices. In QuickBooks, follow these steps:
- Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click Company Settings under Settings.
- Click the Sales tab in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Check the boxes for Shipping and Discount under Sales Form Content.
- Click Save, then click X to exit Settings.
Now that your Quickbooks account is ready, you can set up your LeafLink account.
- To set up your account, we need to enable the QBO integration for you. Contact your account manager or shoot a note to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re interested in setting up the integration. It is available for a small monthly fee in addition to the standard LeafLink subscription.
- Once enabled, admin users will see a new section in Settings called Accounting Software Integration.
- Click the Connect to QuickBooks button and sign in with your QuickBooks Online account credentials.
- In the Settings page, make sure to assign your desired settings, including assigning your Discount Account Field.
A QuickBooks Online invoice generated from LeafLink pulls the following information from your LeafLink order.
Line Item Details
- Quantity (base unit)
- Price (price per unit)
- Order Level Details
- Order Number
- Billing Address
- Payment Terms
- Shipping Address
- Shipping Date
- Invoice Date
- Payment Due Date
- Order Notes
- Shipping Charge
Note: The following fields are not carried over to QuickBooks.
The integration relies on mappings between your LeafLink products and QBO products as well as your LeafLink customers and QuickBooks customers. You will be prompted to set up these mappings when you generate invoices.
To generate an invoice, you must manually push the LeafLink order to your QuickBooks account. Orders must be in at least the Fulfilled state before they can be pushed.
- Go to the Orders page
- Find the order you want to push to QuickBooks (must be in 'Complete' status)
- Click the ellipses in the Actions column
- Click Push to QuickBooks
If the products or the customer in the order are not yet mapped, you will be prompted to do so. You will have the option to map the product and customer to existing records in your Quickbooks Online account or to create new ones from LeafLink.
QBO invoices are created using the default invoice template set in your QBO account.
Setting and Mappings
If at any time you want to edit your integration settings or modify existing mapping, you can visit the Accounting Software Integration section of Settings.
At the top of this page you will find the following links:
- Products Mapping - Modify product mappings
- Customers Mapping - Modify customer mappings
- Edit Invoice Custom Fields - Modify a custom field mapping
Below the links, there are five settings:
- Invoice # - Check this to use the LeafLink order number as the QuickBooks invoice number.
- Enable Payments Sync - Check this to have recorded payments pushed to QuickBooks when pushing invoices. Payments recorded after the invoice has been pushed will automatically update QuickBooks and will not require a re-push.
- Invoice Date - Select the LeafLink order date you want to use as the QuickBooks invoice date.
- Discount Account Field - If you apply discounts to orders, select the QuickBooks account for your discounts.
- Order Credit Mapping - If you apply credits to orders, select the Quickbooks item to represent your order credits.
- Class Field Mapping - If you use the Class field in Quickbooks invoices, you can select which LeafLink value it pulls.
Why am I being asked to refresh my QuickBooks token so frequently?
Please consult Intuit's help center article about this by clicking here.
I received an error message saying that my QuickBooks token has expired. What should I do?
- Go to Settings, then Account Settings
- Scroll down to Accounting Software Integration
- Re-enter your QuickBooks login details
I received the following error message: "Transaction date is prior to start date for inventory item. Transactions with inventory (QOH) products can't be dated earlier than the Inventory Start Date for the product." What should I do?
Since QuickBooks Online is date-specific, you can only post transactions after the start date of the inventory item. The date in the inventory item is when you will start tracking quantity, which is why you can't create a transaction before the date entered.
First, you'll need to make sure that the invoice date you're trying to modify isn't before the starting date. Second, you can open the Products and Services in QBO and find the inventory item so you can change the date.
- Click the Gear icon at the top.
- Under Lists, select Products and Services.
- Look for the inventory item.
- Click the Edit button.
- On the Quantity on hand, select Starting value.
- Click the Got it button.
- Change the date under As of date.
- Hit Save and close.
After changing the date, try pushing the invoice from LeafLink once again.
Can I integrate multiple LeafLink accounts (companies) with one Quickbooks account?
No. Only one LeafLink company can be integrated with one Quickbooks account. Account mapping must be one-to-one.
Why doesn't the drop down for Classes show the options for Classes I have configured in QBO?
The integration only allows for Class to be pulled from three source types originating in LeafLink, we do not pull Classes from Quickbooks. You will need to choose the class you'd like to map to, either Category, License Type, or License Name.
My invoice won't sync to Quickbooks even though I've already mapped my products and customers. What should I do?
First, make sure you've followed all of the Quickbooks steps to set up and activate the integration.
Next, review your product and customer mappings in your Settings page. If any mappings look like the below image (showing "Clear Mapping" with no QBO item or customer name displayed), the mapping has been corrupted and must be cleared and remapped. Once this is done, the invoice should sync successfully.
Note: If you are changing the QuickBooks Online account that the LeafLink account is connected to, this step will be required to be completed!
When mapping a LeafLink SKU to a QBO product, can more than 1 SKU in LeafLink be mapped to a single product within QBO?
Yes, when mapping LL products/SKUs to a QBO product, multiple LL products can be mapped to a single QBO product. This functionality can be tested in the LeafLink sandbox environment, specifically the product mapping settings, once the QBO integration has been enabled within settings > company information.
As shown in the screenshot below, both the 20 pack - Black Beauty & Blue Dream Shatter are mapped to a single product within QBO, Blue Dream Shatter - 30 grams.
Note: this is not an accurate mapping, it simply shows the ability to map multiple LL products/SKUs to a single product within QBO.
How far back would we be able to import invoices from QBO?
LeafLink's QBO integration only flows LeafLink > QBO. Rest assured, if the user would like old LeafLink orders to populate in QBO, all they need to do is select the Push to QuickBooks cta in the overflow menu for a specific order within the orders received page of their LeafLink portal.
I need to make updates to my order. How do I ensure the updates are made to the existing invoice in QBO, and that a net-new invoice isn't created?
If you need to make changes to an existing order, simply click "Re-push to Quickbooks," as seen below. This will update the details on the existing invoice that is tied to that order.
If neither of these steps resolves your issue, please reach out to email@example.com.